November 2, 2013
Tune in to The Getaway on the Esquire Network to Find Out More:
Luck for fans of HBO’s True Blood, Ran Kwanten escaped without harm when he had a run in with a shark when he was a child, otherwise we would never have had the chance to see him bring the role of Jason Stackhouse to life.
But this is no laughing matter, considering many people do not live to talk about their tale, or end up seriously maimed when encountering a shark. Kwanten talks to The Getaway on the Esquire Network about how this chance run in his home country of Australia, led him to train for Surf Life Saving:
I started competing in Surf Life Saving at the ripe old age of 5 back in Australia, which happens to be where the sport was invented in 1907.
Ryan Kwanten will explore Los Angeles in his episode, not only discussing his passion for Surf Life Saving, but taking in all the other sights, sounds and gastronomical delights from this amazing place. The Getaway airs Wednesdays at 9 p.m. on Esquire Network. You can view a sneak peek of this episode below:
Let us know what you think in the comments below!
Source: NBC News - ‘True Blood’ star talks shark attack and surfing on ‘The Getaway’
(Photo Credit: HBO Inc.)
September 15, 2013
Kwanten Will Play the Role of a Christian Monk in Northmen – A Viking Saga:
Recently we announced that Ryan Kwanten (who plays Jason Stackhouse in HBO’s True Blood) will join the cast of Northman – A Viking Saga. There was no news, at the time, of which role he would be playing in this latest movie of his, yet many people were wondering if he would in fact be a Viking. Well, since he arrived at the TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival) premieres for his latest movies, The Right Kind of Wrong and Mystery Road, sporting a shaved head, there are now reports that he will be playing the part of a Christian monk! There is no official confirmation on this though, with IMDb.com still not listing the name of his character in the Viking movie.
And with True Blood finishing up with Season 7 in 2014, Ryan told the Toronto Sun, during the Toronto International Film Festival, that he is very lucky to be employed in a career where 99% of actors are unemployed or struggling. He also had this to say about being an actor:
In terms of being an artist and being able to express myself physically and emotionally, I think it’s such a real liberation. In a weird way actors are these eternal kids. We get paid to play out this innocence, and our emotions. And quite often in ways we wish we could in real life.
It’s a great thing that a talent such as Ryan Kwanten is still in the limelight and with so many movies of his coming up in the near future, I don’t think we have to worry about that light dimming just because True Blood is coming to a close!
Why don’t you check out Ryan’s latest do by clicking here and letting us know what you think in the comments below!
Sources: Zimbio.com - Really Upsetting: Ryan Kwanten Shaved His Head and Beard
Toronto Sun - ‘True Blood’ star Ryan Kwanten talks career change
IMDb.com - Northmen: A Viking Saga (2014)
(Photo Credit: HBO Inc.)
September 11, 2013
Northmen – A Viking Saga is Kwanten’s Latest Movie Endeavour:
No, Jason Stackhouse is not teaming up with Eric Northman (Alexander Skarsgard)! Instead, Ryan Kwanten (who plays Stackhouse in HBO’s True Blood) has joined the cast of the latest movie about Vikings. Other cast members include: Tom Hopper, Charlie Murphy, Ed Skrein ( from HBO’s other juggernaut, Game of Thrones), Ken Duken, Anatole Taubman and James Norton.
Northmen – A Viking Saga will tell the tale of Viking marauders trapped in enemy territory in Scotland. The movie is being co-produced by Ascot Elite Entertainment Group, Two Oceans Productions and Jumping Horse Film. The producers include: Karin G. Dietrich, Ralph S. Dietrich Daniel Hoeltschi, Marco Del Bianco, Frank Kaminski, Ulrich Stiehm and Rolf Wappenschmitt. Deitrich had the following to say about the movie:
Northmen – A Viking Saga is a film that is close to all of our hearts. It tells a timeless story of courage, camaraderie and adventure, with exciting historical roots that have stimulated significant, and ever increasing, interest in the last few years. This is an epic and ambitious project but we could not feel more confident about the cast and crew that has come together to bring the story to life.
Kwanten is currently on location in Brazil (for the movie Rio, eu te amo), but once that is over, he will head to South Africa and Germany where filming for Northman – A Viking Saga will take place over the course of eight weeks. Claudio Fah (of Sniper: Reloaded and Hollow Man 2 fame) will be directing.
There is no word yet on the character Ryan Kwanten will be playing, or how big his role will be. What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments below.
Source: Screen Daily - Ryan Kwanten sails for Northmen
(Photo Credit: HBO Inc.)
September 8, 2013
The Right Kind of Wrong Gets Snapped Up Before its Premiere at TIFF:
True Blood fans will be able to get their Ryan Kwanten (who plays Jason Stackhouse in HBO’s True Blood) fix thanks to Magnolia Pictures (owned by the Wagner/Cuban Company) snapping up the rights to his latest movie, The Right Kind of Wrong.
The movie will make its debut at this year’s Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) on Thursday September 12th 2013, but it appears the hype surrounding the movie was enough for Magnolia Pictures to grab it early. Magnolia’s president, Eamonn Bowles, has described the movie as being a ‘well directed crowd pleaser’.
The Right Kind of Wrong tells the story of Leo Palamino, a failed-writer-turned-dishwasher who’s main claim to fame is the fact that his ex-wife made a video about him called Why You Suck and then posted it to YouTube. Leo then meets the girl of his dreams – except it is her wedding day and she is getting married to Mr. Perfect!
The movie is produced by Robert Lantos and Ari Lantos. It also stars Catherine O’Hara and Will Sasso. The Right Kind of Wrong is adapted from Tim Sandlin’s novel Sex and Sunsets.
If all goes according to plan, then fans should be able to see The Right Kind of Wrong in cinemas early in 2014. I certainly can’t wait for this movie – how about you? Let us know in the comments below!
Source: Hollywood Reporter - Toronto: Magnolia Snaps Up U.S. Rights to ‘The Right Kind of Wrong’
(Photo Credit: HBO Inc.)
September 4, 2013
Ryan Kwanten on His Latest Movie Role:
Fans of HBO’s True Blood are despondent this week over the demise of their favorite vampire series after Season 7. But, don’t fear, we will still get to see many of the actors on the small screen – as well as the silver screen.
This week Tribute.ca released a video interview of Ryan Kwanten (who plays Sookie’s brother, Jason Stackhouse), taken during filming in Alberta, Canada for his upcoming movie The Right Kind of Wrong.
In this video you can find out:
- What Ryan Kwanten saw while jogging, that he would never have seen in Australia
- How he gets along with his on-screen interest, Sara Canning, when the cameras stop rolling
- Why he loves his character, Leo Palamino, so much
- Whether Ryan is a romantic in real life or not
- What domestic skill he excels at
- How well Ryan works when under pressure
You can view the whole interview by clicking on the image of Ryan Kwanten below:
The Right Kind of Wrong is a romantic comedy about a failed-writer-turned-dishwasher (Leo Palamino) made famous for his many flaws and shortcomings in a blog called ?Why You Suck,? a huge Internet success written by his ex-wife. Then Leo meets Colette, the girl of his dreams? on the day she is marrying the perfect man. It is scheduled to be released in October 2013 as well as being selected for inclusion in the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival. It is directed by Jeremiah S. Chechik and also stars Catherine O’Hara and Will Sasso.
Sources: Tribute.ca - Ryan Kwanten Interview – The Right Kind of Wrong
eonefilms.com - The Right Kind of Wrong
(Photo Credit: eonefilms.com)
August 29, 2013
Find Out Which Shows and Movies Will Contain True Blood Regulars:
Why, check out the True Blood cast in other movies and TV shows, of course! There are plenty to pick from. We have included a list below, but we are sure we have missed some since the True Blood actors are such a talented bunch and in such high demand. If you know of any others, let us know in the comments below and we’ll add it to the list.
- Kristen Bauer van Straten (Pam in True Blood), has been cast alongside Cary Elwes in the offbeat comedy Teen Lust. This has been acquired by Entertainment One and production started in mid-August in Canada
- Janina Gavankar (Luna Garcia) has a couple of roles coming up in TV shows. Firstly, you can watch her in The Vampire Diaries, which premieres it’s fifth season on October 5th 2013. Gavankar stars as Tessa, a woman returning to Mystic Falls to rekindle an old romance. Her stint on this show starts in Episode 3. Secondly, you can see Janina in CW’s web series Husbands. She will star in the show as a trophy wife of sorts – and has possibly killed someone to that position! This certainly sounds intriguing.
- Stephen Moyer has a couple of things going on also. If you like The Sound of Music, then you’d better get excited now, since Moyer will be reprising the role of Capt. George Von Trapp in NBC’s version of this classic movie. Carrie Underwood will play Maria; the role Julie Andrews made famous. If DVDs or BlyRays are your thing, then why not pick up a copy of the newly released movie Evidence? It stars Moyer, Radha Mitchell, and another True Blood star, Dale Dickey (Martha).
- Sam Trammell (Sam Merlotte) has been cast to play Shailene Woodley’s father in Fox’s The Fault in Our Stars. In fact, Sam has been very busy of late with several other movies, so you will also need to track down: Crazy Kind of Love, The Aftermath, Things People Do and Me.
- Deborah Ann Woll (Jessica Hamby) has some movies due for release also. Meet Me in Montenegro is the first movie and Woll stars alongside Homeland‘s Rupert Friend. The second movie will be a real treat as it also co-stars Luke Grimes (who played Jessica’s romantic vampire interest, James, in True Blood Season 6. Both of these movies are in post-production.
- Nelsan Ellis (Lafayette Reynolds) is currently starring in The Butler as Martin Luther King Jr.
- Joe Manganiello (Alcide Herveaux) has just signed up for Magic Mike’s sequel. He also just finished filming alongside Arnold Schwarzenegger in the upcoming movie Sabotage.
- Rutina Wesley (Tara Thornton) will also be starring alongside another True Blood cast member, Pruitt Taylor Vince, in 13 Sins. Pruitt Taylor Vince played Dr Finn, a therapist at Vamp Camp in True Blood Season 6
- Sad to see Steve Newlin die in Season 6? Well, don’t fear, you can see Michael McMillian in the upcoming movie The Banshee Chapter. This is a supernatural thriller that follows a journalist investigating the disappearance of a friend.
- Speaking of Newlin’s – Anna Camp (who plays Steve’s ex-wife, Sarah Newlin) has a couple of TV shows coming up. Camp will play the ex-girlfriend of main character Brody in TBS’ new sitcom Ground Floor. She will also appear in Season 9 of How I Met Your Mother, playing the part of a troublesome wedding guest.
- Jurnee Smollett-Bell has just been cast in Season 5 of Parenthood. She will play the role of Heather Hall, who is the campaign manager for cast regular Kristina (Monica Potter). Parenthood will return to our screens on Thursday, September 26 2013.
- Ryan Kwanten (Jason Stackhouse) is currently soaking up the sun in Rio, but prior to that he has been very busy and has several movies in various stages of completion. Make sure you keep a look out for: Reach Me, The Right Kind of Wrong, 7500 and Knights of Badassdom.
- Tara Buck (Ginger the Screamer) also has several movies coming up: The Night Visitor, Home, My Mother is Not a Fish and Medeas. And, of course, if you’re in Australia, you can catch Tara Buck in the flesh at Club Fangtasia in November.
- Finally, remember Luna’s daughter, Emma? She was played by the adorable little actress Chloe Noelle. Recently, Noelle confirmed on Twitter that she had just signed up for a new TV show. She hasn’t said which one yet, but make sure you follow her on Twitter to find out.
Sources: Variety.com - ‘Teen Lust’ Lures Cary Elwes, Kristin Bauer van Straten, Jesse Carere
TV Line – Vampire Diaries Exclusive: True Blood’s Janina Gavankar Relocates to Mystic Falls
TV Guide - Exclusive: CW’s Web Series Husbands Adds Cast Members from True Blood, CollegeHumor
BroadwayWorld.com – EVIDENCE, Stephen Moyer Coming to Blu-ray/DVD 8/20
TV Guide - True Blood’s Stephen Moyer Joins NBC’s The Sound of Music
Global Post - ‘True Blood’s’ Sam Trammell Joins Shailene Woodley in ‘The Fault in Our Stars’ (Exclusive)
FrontiersLA.com - Here’s How to Keep Up with the ‘True Blood’ Cast
TV Line - Exclusive: It’s a Pitch Perfect Reunion as Anna Camp Guest Stars on TBS’ Ground Floor
Screen Crush – ‘How I Met Your Mother’ Final Season: ‘Office’s Ellie Kemper Out, ‘True Blood’s Anna Camp in
Huffington Post - Jurnee Smollett-Bell Joins ‘Parenthood’ Season 5
IMDb – Ryan Kwanten
IMDb – Tara Buck
Twitter – Chloe Noelle status
(Photo Credits: HBO Inc.)
August 14, 2013
Kwanten Stars in a Short Film as Well as a Feature Film:
Many fans have been concerned that the life of Ryan Kwanten’s character, Jason Stackhouse, may be at risk this week in HBO’s True Blood Season 6, after he was left alone in a room full of female vampires who hadn’t seen real human blood in weeks. But, even if Jason Stackhouse doesn’t survive Season 6, at least we won’t miss seeing the Aussie star on the big screen!
Firstly, you can enjoy Kwanten in a short film that pays homage to Venom from Marvel Comics. This film was recently premiered by director Joe Lynch (who also directed another Kwanten movie, Knights of Badassdom) at Comic-Con. It is the second instalment in producer Adi Shankar’s “Bootleg Universe”. The movie is called Truth in Journalism and follows Kwanten’s character, Eddie Brock, documentary-style, as he is followed by a French film crew in the 1980′s.
You can view this short film (it goes for a mere 17 mins.) in it’s entirety below:
The second movie Ryan Kwanten has on offer is a feature length movie and goes by the name The Right Kind of Wrong. This movie is directed by Jeremiah Chechik (of Bennie and Joon fame). It stars Catherine O’Hara and Sara Canning (The Vampire Diaries) alongside True Blood’s Kwanten. The Right Kind of Wrong follows the story of Leo (Ryan Kwanten) who finds the woman of his dreams – only problem is, he meets her on her wedding day! Rather than woo her, he tries to convince the love of his life to marry her fiancé rather than be with him.
The Right Kind of Wrong will premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival this year, but until then, you can enjoy the movie preview below:
Let us know what you think of Ryan Kwanten’s latest movie offerings by commenting below.
Sources: MovieViral.com - Ryan Kwanten Stars In “Truth In Journalism” As Classic Marvel Universe Journalist
IndieWire - TIFF Clip: ‘The Right Kind Of Wrong’ Starring Ryan Kwanten From ‘Benny & Joon’ Director Jeremiah Chechik
YouTube - #TRUTHINJOURNALISM
YouTube - THE RIGHT KIND OF WRONG | Festival 2013
(Photo Credit: HBO Inc.)
July 26, 2013
Jessica Hamby Gets A Surprise Visit:
This sneak peek video of HBO’s True Blood Season 6, Episode 7, entitled, In the Evening, is a short but, oh, so sweet one! We are tantalised by the fact that Jessica Hamby (Deborah Ann Woll) is hauled out of the general population of Vamp Camp and taken to a room where she is greeted by none other than her previous flame, Jason Stackhouse (Ryan Kwanten). We know that Jason is fighting the good fight now – but Jessica sure doesn’t!
Soirce: YouTube - True Blood Season 6: Episode #7 Clip – Surprise Visit
(Photo Credit: HBO Inc.)
July 23, 2013
True Blood Cast Represents at Comic Con:
It appears that the 2013 Comic-Con was yet again a success for the True Blood cast and fans! Even though our two favourite male vamps were absent( Alexander Skarsgard, and Stephen Moyer) the panel pulled through with lots of insight on the remainder of the season! The panel included Anna Paquin, Ryan Kwanten, Sam Trammell, Rutina Wesley, Nelsan Ellis, Deborah Ann Woll, Kristin Bauer van Straten, Joe Manganiello, Anna Camp, Michael McMillian and Rob Kazinsky. The True Blood Panel was moderated by TV Guides Kate Hahn.
The True Blood segment kicked off with a video clip of teasers for the 2nd half of the current Season 6. Truebloodnet.com has posted this video if you are eager to check it out!
Here are a few favourite questions and responses:
“Ryan Kwanten on Jason’s “noble” quest to find his parents’ killer – “There’s a lot more in store for Jason – he gets real crazy, real soon. He likes to think he’s Rambo, but fails miserably!”
Deborah Ann Woll on Jessica’s self loathing following season six’s dark twists: “Jessica’s going to have to pay dearly within her own heart for what happened – it’s going to take a long time for her to forgive herself.”
True Blood newbie Rob Kazinsky is bowled over by the reception he’s getting from Comic-Con fans. He also promises we’ll get both light and dark from Warlow this season. “You’re going to see some gnarly stuff!”
Buckner promises that True Blood will “return to its roots” at the end of this season, returning focus to its core characters: “We’re really going to make it feel like we’re coming home.”
Source: Digital Spy-Live Coverage- True Blood at Comic Con 2013: Panel Live Blog
(Photo Credit) 2013 Warner Bros Entertainment Inc Comic Con
July 22, 2013
Heads Will be Lost:
We are over half way through Season 6 of True Blood, and the hits just keep on coming! The Season 6 Episode 7 “Official” Promo has now been released for our viewing pleasure! Here’s what we know based on the promo:
1) Governor Burrell is dead…he’s gone and lost his head! Mrs. Newlin(Anna Camp) wants his death to remain a secret..it looks like this blonde is smarter and more calculating than she originally appears to be.
2) Eric(Alexander Skarsgard) reaches out to Billith(Stephen Moyer) to help save a brunette, we assume that this is Nora(Lucy Griffiths) after she has been injected with hepatitis a terminal disease for vampires.
3) Jason(Ryan Kwanten) is in hot pursuit to redeem his foolish behaviour, and is planning to make things right with Jessica(Deborah Ann Woll).
4) It appears that Vamp Camp is not the end goal of the war against vampires, but rather an elimination of the entire vampire species..True Blood is being tainted with hepatitis!
Check out the promo for Season 6 Episode 7 of True Blood “In the Evening” to see whats in store next Sunday July 28!
Source: You Tube- True Blood 6×07 Promo- In the Evening Season 6 Episode 7
(Photo Credit) John P. Johnson HBO