HBO’s True Blood Season 5 Finale – Gran’s Pecan Pie Recipe
August 25, 2012 by Rachel Tsoumbakos
Gran’s Cryin’ Pie
So what is everyone doing for the Season 5 finale for HBO’s True Blood? Are you glad to see the season end, or are you begging for more? And while finale night means a lot of questions are answered, it also means there is a huge gap of time before you get your next new fix of Bon Temps.
Of course, finale night means party night also! This year at my place there will be Tru Blood Plasmapolitans (Tru Blood, Vodka and lime juice) as well as a good dose of crying. Sookie’s gran’s famous Cryin’ Pie from Season 1, when her gran met an untimely demise and Sookie blubbered her way through the entire thing, is just the comfort food needed for this!
This year, I have attempted to replicate gran’s pie. I think I’ve come pretty darn close. So here is the recipe for you all to enjoy. For a more authentic recipe, omit the maple toffee.
Gran’s Cryin’ Pecan Pie
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
113grams cold, unsalted butter, chopped
1/2 tsp cinnamon
395gram tin sweetened condensed milk
60grams brown sugar
2 tsps Bailey’s Irish Cream liqueur (or 1 tsp of vanilla extract)
1/4 cup maple syrup
Pecan halves, to decorate
- Add all the pastry ingredients to a food processor and whiz until totally combined.
- Grease a pie dish and, using your fingers, press out the pastry dough until smooth.
- Bake in the over at 340 degrees Fahrenheit
- Add all the pie filling ingredients (except the eggs) to a pan and heat on a medium temperature until the sugar is dissolved.
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool for five minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking quickly to prevent them cooking unevenly.
- Turn the heat back on to low and whisk until the mixture thickens into custard.
- Pour into the pie crust and decorate with pecan halves
- Firmly pack 1/3 cup brown sugar into measuring cup. Top up with maple syrup to the 1/2 cup mark. Add to a pan along with 1/4 cup of water.
- Turn on the heat to high and let the mixture boil. Keep checking the toffee by pouring a small amount over the back of a cold metal spoon. As soon as it becomes super sticky, pour the whole lot over the top of your pie.
- Refrigerate until set and serve with either whipped cream or ice cream
- Enjoy! (But don’t forget to cry while eating it.)
Source: Rachel Tsoumbakos – True Blood Season 5 Finale – Gran’s Pecan Pie Recipe
(Photo Credits: HBO Inc. & Rachel Tsoumbakos)