True Blood Premiere Quickie: True Blood Season 7 Episode 1 “Jesus Gonna Be Here” Recap
June 23, 2014 by Rachel Tsoumbakos
So, here we are – at the very last premiere return of HBO’s True Blood! And this is what went down in Season 7, Episode 1, entitled Jesus Gonna Be Here:
- Fight scene – yeah, we knew it was going to start this way, but it turns out more people are being taken rather than slaughtered! Kevin (John Rezig), Arlene (Carrie Preston), Holly (Lauren Bowles), Jane Bodehouse (Patricia Bethune) and Sam’s (Sam Trammell) new love, Nicole (Jurnee Smolett-Bell) are among those taken – thanks Jason Stackhouse (Ryan Kwanten) for that tip off! Sam and Alcide (Joe Manganiello) try to follow them but soon return empty handed.
- Tara Thornton (Rutina Wesley) goes all matrix on a Hep-V vampire behind in order to save her mother, Lettie Mae (Adina Porter).
- Wait, is that someone whistling? Seems it is, and it’s the magic ‘make the Hep-V vampers disappear‘ whistle too!
- Sookie (Anna Paquin) finds Lettie Mae covered in goo – Tara is dead – WTF?! *sobs*
- Jessica Hamby (Deborah Ann Woll) finds out about Tara but still promises to protect Adilyn (Bailey Noble). Andy Bellefleur (Chris Bauer) isn’t too keen on this notion, but he jumps out of the pan and straight into the fire with Bill (Stephen Moyer) and they head off in search of Holly.
- Why is everyone dogging on Sookie – she didn’t cause this mess! What, even Alcide, really???
- Oh look, it’s new James (Nathan Parsons)!
- Sam and Vince ( the other candidate for mayor of Bon Temps) have an argument over Sam being a dog. Vince (Brett Rickaby) eventually agrees to keep quiet about Sam – for the time being.
- Bill tells every humanto take their allocated vampire and go home. A very drunk Lafayette (Nelsan Ellis) gets assigned James as his vampire in residence. Bill then discusses where these Hep V vamps might be nesting and rounds up a group to check out a few abandoned places.
- Sam thinks he’s exempt from the vampire/human rule, but takes one home anyway… I feel a little uncomfortable about his vampire and I don’t know why :-/
- Alcide calls Sookie, but she throws her phone away into the woods rather than answer it.
- So Sookie thinks it’s safe walking through the woods at night after the Hep-V attack? Guess the dead girl she stumbles across thought the same thing too. But that Sook, she just ignores that body and keeps on going… Sookie must be real mad to ignore a body like that…
- Pam! YAY it’s Pam (Kristin Bauer van Straten)! Oh no, why is she playing Russian roulette with vampire killing bullets in Morocco? Okay, so it’s to find out information about Eric Northman (Alexander Skarsgard) – now that’s progeny dedication for you.
- Adilyn and Jessica have a sweet little chat about all the horrible stuff that has happened between them, boys and what not; basically chewing the fat like a couple of BFFs – even if Adilyn does take a step back as Jessica approaches… Whoa! Hang on a minute -that’s a Hep-V infected vampire approaching.
- Sookie and Alcide have a little argument and Alcide goes off to bed. But that’s okay because Sookie mops for a bit and then goes and apologises to Alcide and they ‘make up’.
- Jason and Violet (Karolina Wydra) have a chat about Tara on the way to their rendezvous point. Whoops, seems someone’s already at the abandoned place they are going to search… Low and behold, it’s Vince again. Jason and Violet (mainly Violet) have words with them and they are shortly on their way
- It’s Lafayette smoking weed. Even funnier is the fact that James is too! Wouldn’t it toast him slowly from the inside? Anyway, we get an insight into who James really is here. Lafayette approves, and that’s all we need to like James version 2.0
- Jason gets all cranky because he hasn’t gotten laid yet, so he yells at Violet and then they finally get jiggy. On top of the police cruiser. Hello gratuitous crotch shot!
- Jessica is still protecting Adilyn from the Hep-V vamper. She convinces the fairy to feed of her, so Jess will always know where she is.
- Lettie Mae is tripping on Willa’s vamp blood and is stressing that Tara ain’t in heaven and needs her mamma’s help. Well, that escalated quickly – in reverse. Lettie Mae is asleep now. This gives the good reverend and Willa Burrell (Amelia Rose Blaire) a chance to chat. In the end, the Rev. lets Willa move into the church basement.
- So Pam is still doing the ‘where in the world in her maker‘ game. She now has a treasure map to follow.
- Bill and Andy go to the abandoned slaughter house – yep, it’s a vampire nest.
- Far out – it’s Vince again. This guy is REALLY starting to annoy me!
- Bill convinces Vince to let Andy go.
- Andy won’t go, says he wants to kill Bill himself, so stupid Vince hands over his gun – and Andy pulls it on the other gun wielder there before diffusing the entire situation and ‘encouraging’ Vince’s group to leave.
- The stolen group (Arlene, Holly, Kevin, Jane, Nicole etc.) are listening to the Hep-V vamps consume a human – turns out they are all holed up in the basement of Fangtasia!
- Then Kevin gets eaten…
- Andy and Bill chat. Andy’s still pissy at Bill but spared him because he wants help getting Holly back
- Oh crap – dawn is coming and Jessica is still staring down that Hep-V vamper! Adilyn’s onto it though and invites Jessica in. Luckily Jessica doesn’t drain her. She’s sizzling around the edges though, or is that just the lesbian undertones heating up the room?
- The Hep-V vamper bursts into flames
- We’re in church now. Sookie arrives and it get very awkward very quickly – especially when Lettie Mae gets stuck into her. So Sookie gets up to leave before thinking twice about it and giving all the church members a piece of her mind! Poor Sookie, all she wants to do is help.
And that concludes the very first episode of HBO’s True Blood Season 7! What did you think of it? Were you sad to see Tara go? When do you think we’ll get to see Eric again? And will Sookie be able to help Bon Temps? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
Here’s the promo video for True Blood Season 7 Episode 2 (entitled I Found You):
(Photo Credits: HBO Inc.)