True Blood Quickie: True Blood Season 7 Episode 4 “Death is Not the End” Recap
July 14, 2014 by Rachel Tsoumbakos
- This episode starts with all the hard stuff: telling the families of the casualties from Episode 3. Alcide’s (Joe Manganiello) father takes the news stoically while Hoyt Fortenberry (Jim Parrack) breaks down and cries. He still manages to thank Jason Stackhouse (Ryan Kwanten) though and his good southern manners mixed with his glamoured memory loss adds up to a real tearjerker of a scene.
- We find Eric Northman (Alexander Skarsgard) on a plane and between the legs of a flight attendant – this looks more like the Eric we know and love and less like emo Eric! It seems Pam (Kristin Bauer van Straten) has them flying to Baton Rouge, but after a heated discussion, it seems they are going to Shreveport instead. This segues nicely into a flashback about the origins of Fangtasia – turns out it was a video store with a hidden tunnel and Eric was made sheriff of Area 5 as punishment for his lack of conformity shown in the flashbacks from last week’s episode.
- Sookie Stackhouse (Anna Paquin) spends most of this episode trying to fix things rather than dwell on the death of Alcide. As a result, things actually happen! She takes a trip to the Bellefleurs and manages to have a heart to heart with Arlene’s (Carrie Preston) kids as well as wriggle into Holly’s (Lauren Bowles) brain and work out just where those pesky Hep-V vampers are hanging out: Fangtasia. Tearjerker moment of the episode occurs here when a bewildered Andy (Chris Bauer) asks Sookie how he should console Holly; “We like to be held,” is Sookie’s response *sniffles*
- Sam (Sam Trammell) and Jason are tasked with letting Rosie (Tess Alexandra Parker) know about Kevin’s (John Rezig) death (which Sookie also found out while reading Holly’s brain). Seems they are giving out waaaaay too much information about their plans to storm Fangtasia once it gets dark. Considering Rosie was one of the rabid Bon Temps residents in Episode 3, do they really want that mob storming the place as well?
- Jessica (Deborah Ann Woll) is still vamporexic and Sookie is taking none of that crap thank you very much! After
Sookie tells her to suck it up princessa quick chat, it’s time to call in Lafayette (Nelsan Ellis) so Jessica can feed and help them attack Fangtasia’s.
- Speaking of Fangtasia, it’s time for another flashback! The time is 1996 and we are introduced to Ginger (Tara Buck). Turns out, before she became a fang banger, she was in college and doing rather well for herself. Long story short, Ginger is already obsessed with vampires and takes a job at Eric’s video store after meeting the ancient viking in the flesh.
- Next we get to see Fangtasia in 2006. Vampires have just come out of the closest and Ginger is looking more like the little nit wit we know and love. Except she is by no means scattered yet and has the brilliant idea to turn Pam and Eric’s video store into a vamp bar. Heck, she even came up with the name – until Pam glamored her and took all the glory for herself. Back to the present day and Eric is chuckling over Pam’s confession.
- So Sookie is amassing her troop – of 8. Even though they will be vastly outnumbered they are still determined to regain Fangtasia and rescue Arlene, Nicole (Jurnee Smollett-Bell) and Jane Bodehouse (Patricia Bethune). But what’s that? A knock at the door? Yay! It’s Eric and Pam! Even with the shock of realising Eric has Hep-V, Sookie still manages to go weak at the knees at the sight of him. Their little catch up is smoldering stuff.
- Eric summons Willa (Amelia Rose Blaire), who is cranky as hell at not having seen her maker in some time, but it doesn’t matter because Eric pulls the maker card and Willa is now ready to help out as well. That makes 11 on the warpath…
- Remember that hidden tunnel in Fangtasia? Well, turns out to be a major player when they all arrive. Sam turns into a rat and surprises the trio in the dungeon – especially Arlene, who had no idea Sam was a shifter! But he assures them that there are vampires – good vampires – about to rescue them. He turns back into a rat and disappears back out the tunnel again. So when the Hep-V vampers arrive and take Arlene, no one has any idea just how urgent their rescue mission has just become!
- The Hep-V vamps are feeding on Arlene while Bill (who has sneaked into Fangtasia via the tunnel and rescued the remaining two humans) looks on as he waits for the rest of the vampires to make their way through the tunnel. Eric and Sookie arrive at the bar entrance. Eric asks to be let in (since he is legitimately the owner of the place AND a Hep-V sufferer). No one wants to let him in, but one whiff of Sookie and the door is opened wide.
- Outside Rosie has bought the Bon Temps mob, led by Vince (Brett Rickaby). Yeah, it’s about to get messy!
- Just as Eric announces he has bought his friends along, the angry mob start throwing Molotov cocktails and a battle ensues.
- During the bloodshed, Arlene is dying in Sookie’s arms and seeing visions of Terry (Todd Lowe). Once more, we’re all in tears. Sookie is begging Arlene to hold on until a healthy vampire arrives, while Arlene is begging to join Terry. Luckily the war is over quickly and Keith (Riley Smith) gives up his blood in order to heal Arlene.
- Bill kills Vince – epic!
- Eric and Sookie have a whole conversation just using their eyes.
- The end.
So, what did you think of Episode 4 of True Blood Season 7? Let us know in the comments below!
(Photo Credit: HBO Inc.)