True Blood Season 7: Episode 1 Brings the First Fatality
June 6, 2014 by Rachel Tsoumbakos
Which True Blood Regular Will Bite the Dust:
With mere weeks to go until the premiere of HBO’s True Blood Season 7, news is coming in fast and furious – and the latest is a shocker! According to not only TV Guide, but MTV.com, one True Blood cast member will die straight up in Episode 1. While neither source will spill the beans on who it is, TV Guide had this to say:
When the HBO drama returns, the Hep-V-infected vampires that were poised to attack Bon Temps arrive and the bloodbath quickly ensues. Unfortunately, the casualties are not just redshirts. In fact, one character’s fate is so jaw-dropping that you’ll spend the rest of the episode wondering if what you just watched was a dream. It’s not, which clearly means all bets are off in this final season.
So someone will die quickly, and probably brutally at the start of the episode. Who could it be? MTV.com follows up with:
Oh and yes, the rumors are true — as TVGuide confirmed, a major character bites it in the show’s opening moments, with very little fanfare. It’s a brutal fate for someone who has been an integral part of the series for years, and it instantly sets the tone for the rest of the season. No one is safe. No one.
While neither are giving much away, there is still plenty of clues.
So Here’s What We DO Know:
- The death happens very quickly. Considering the fact that Season 6 finished with the Hep V vamps showing up at Bellefleurs (formerly Merlotte’s) and the knowledge that Season 7 will pick up directly from this point, it will have to be someone we saw at the end of Season 6. There were plenty of our True Blood regulars present. Right off the bat we see Arlene (Carrie Preston), Jason Stackhouse (Ryan Kwanten), Jessica Hamby (Deborah Ann Woll), Sam Merlotte (Sam Trammell) and his pregnant girlfriend, Nicole (Jurnee Smollett-Bell), Lafayette (Nelsan Ellis), Tara (Rutina Wesley) and her mother, Lettie Mae (Adina Porter). In fact, everyone seems to make an appearance! It could be any one of these characters.
- It’s a character that is integral to the show. This narrows it down some. It’s unlikely then to be Lettie Mae. While she has been there from the start, she has not been a regular cast member. Add into the mix the fact that she has just been upgraded to series regular, it seem very unlikely she’ll die in the first episode. Holly (Lauren Bowles) is another who seems fairly safe as well. Others such as Violet (Karolina Wydra), Nicole, James the vampire and Willa Burrell (Amelia Rose Blaire) also seem to be off the hook.
- The trailers release more information. So far we have two trailers for True Blood Season 7. While we have been lamenting the glaringly absent Eric Northman (Alexander Skarsgard), the clips, once rewatched, now shed some light on who will die in Episode 1. With the death occurring at Bellefleurs at the start of the episode, it means all those trailer scenes shown in broad daylight drastically shorten the list for us. We see plenty of clips with Sookie (Anna Paquin), Alcide (Joe Manganiello), Andy Bellefleur (Chris Bauer), Jason and Sam. Considering this, they have to be safe. There is also footage of Sookie and Bill Compton (Stephen Moyer) talking about what has happened in Bon Temps. So he has to be safe as well. Then there is a very brief snippet of Lafayette wearing completely different clothes to what we saw him in at the end of Season 6 – yep, he has to be in the clear as well.
So, Who’s Left?
- Jessica. While she is absent from Bellefleurs when the vampires attack, it is possible she may rush off to help. Also, add into the mix the fact that there are snippets of Jessica and a shadowy figure in the second trailer video, and suddenly I am getting very fearful for her well being.
- Arlene. She has been there from the start, yet she doesn’t seem to appear in the trailers – could she be the one to die?
- Tara. She is another True Blood regular that seems to be absent from the teaser videos. Could she die all over again?
Let me know who you think will die in Episode 1 of HBO’s True Blood Season 7 by commenting below!
Sources: TV Guide – Mega Buzz: A True Blood Tragedy, Falling Skies’ Hybrid and Sleepy’s New Monster
MTV.com – ‘True Blood’: 7 Reasons Why You Have To Watch The Final Season
(Photo Credit: HBO Inc.)